Offsite back ups
A remote, online, or managed backup service, also referred to as a cloud backup, is a service that provides users with a system for backup, storage, and recovery of computer files.
Remote backup has advantages over traditional backup methods:
- The most important aspect of backing up is that backups are stored in a different location from the original data. Traditional backup requires manually taking the backup media offsite.
- Remote backup does not require user intervention. Ie: change tapes, label CDs nor perform other manual steps.
- Unlimited data retention.
- Backups are automatic.
- Remote backup services will maintain a list of versions of your files.
- Remote backup services can reduce backup by only transmitting changed binary data bits
Online backup services are usually priced as a function of the following factors:
- The total amount of data being backed up.
- The number of machines covered by the backup service.
- The maximum number of versions of each file that are kept.
- Data retention and archiving period options
- The level of service and features available